Thursday, January 20, 2011

Creative Inquiry

I bet you are wondering what that is. Well for starters it is something that only Clemson has. It's where you join this team and do research. Of course in Food Science, the Creative Inquiry teams are all about food. I thought in the beginning that only Food Science has this, but other majors here do too. In Food Science sometimes the teams focus on more than coming up with new recipes. Actually, I don't think really any of the teams do that. Some of them research the effects certain foods have on teenagers and children. Some research how to overcome obesity. There's even one about the extinction of gingerbread. My academic advisor is doing that one, and I so wanted to join, but by the time I could register for classes it was filled. Anyways, the Creative Inquiry team I'm on, we study the aromas of herbs and spices. That's the general overview. There's more to it. I just thought I would post about this since I met my mentor for the first time today. He showed me and another person on the team the lab, and he told us how it's the number one lab in the US. He also told us how we have things that other Food Science departments at other colleges don't have. I was happy to learn this that they try to be the best here even in the smaller departments. He also told us about what he expected and that he doesn't fail anyone and doesn't expect freshmen to do all the same things as his graduate students. I was happy to find out that I couldn't fail it. Overall I really enjoyed meeting my mentor, and cannot wait to get started. It made me like my choice of major that much more. I'll probably be posting more about this as the semester progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment