Monday, May 17, 2010

Sugar Cookies Don't Like Me

So last month for my great aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary I was assigned to make sugar cookies. It wasn't that big of a deal to me. I'm actually a good cook, and desserts are what I'm best at. So I'm usually assigned to make something. For instance, I had to make nearly all the desserts for Christmas one year. It turned out pretty good, with almost everything I made gone by the end of the day. So I thought, "Sugar cookies, no problem." Boy was I wrong. I had decided to make them from scratch. I thought it would be more special than buying pre cut ones. I had wanted to make ones that I could cut out because I wanted to cut them out into the shapes of butterflies. I should of known things wouldn't work out when it took my mom, sister, and me forever to find cookie cutters. Wal-Mart let me down. They only had one thing that was cookie cutters, and it was this big box that contained 100s of cookie cutters but not the ones I wanted. We bought it anyways.It did have one butterfly cookie cutter, so that made me somewhat happy. So when I go to make the cookies I don't read all the directions before starting them, and I find out when I finished mixing the dough(my mixer also broke on me while mixing it) that the dough has to chill in the fridge for 2 hours at the least. I just wanted to scream at that point. I had waited to make them the morning of the party. Big Mistake. So my mom, being the psychic that she is, had bought a mix that all I had to do was add a little flour and one or two eggs to for just in case we didn't have enough. This mix only would make at most 30 cookies, and there was going to be at least 100 people there. But I made cookies from that batch, and I read all of the directions before I mixed them. They didn't need to be stuck in the fridge and they actually turned out good. While I was waiting on the other to firm in the fridge, I iced these as they cooled. So when a little over two hours was up, I checked the dough in the fridge, and thought it was firm. I go to roll it out, and it sticks to the rolling pin even though it has flour on it. It also doesn't cut out. By this time I was needing to be already done with these cookies, and getting ready to go. So I decide to just drop dough them, and call it a day. My sis helped me ice them and put them on the tray.

So that was last month in April, I tried again just a couple of days ago. My sis and I had been wanting something sweet, so I decided to see if these cookies would turn out like they're suppose to. I had plenty of time and nothing to do that day. I also had gotten a new mixer, which was what I thought was the reason for them not working last time. So I make it, put it in the fridge, and leave it in the fridge for way over 2 hours. Again I try to roll them out, and again they don't do as they should. So I drop dough half of it, and leave the other half in the fridge. I leave it in there for the rest of the day, and don't try again till the next day. It does the same as it did the first couple of times. So I gave up, and realized that sugar cookies are not the dessert for me. They just don't like me.

Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment